Your shopping cart is empty!
Prep Time: 25 mins / Cook Time: 30 mins / Total Time: 55 mins / Serves: 6-8 as large sides
Recipe Source: Chelsea's www.chelseasmessyapron.com
2 cups medium sweet kumara chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
150g white basmati rice
1 large apple
1 ripe avocado
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
230g - 290g mixed greens (50/50 blend spinach & mesclun lettuce works well)
Optional: crumbled goat cheese or feta
Lemon Balsamic Dressing
2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Peel and chop the kumara into small chunks. Toss the potato chunks in 1 tablespoon olive oil plus some salt and pepper. You could also add some other seasonings if desired.
2. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, and then flip once more and bake for 10 more minutes or until the potato chunks are tender and roasted through. Watch these carefully so you don't overcook the potatoes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to the package directions.
4. Combine the roasted kumara with the cooked rice in a large bowl and place in the fridge while prepping the dressing.
5. For the dressing combine all of the ingredients in a small blender or a food processor. Blend until completely combined, taste, adjust to personal preference, and then pour into a dressing bottle or mason jar and place in the fridge.
6. Chop up an apple (you can peel if desired) and an avocado. Toss both together with the 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
7. Add to the cooled kumara + rice mixture. Toss with the lettuce and add cranberries plus almonds (you can toast almonds if desired by placing them in a dry skillet over medium heat and stirring until lightly fragrant watching carefully to not burn them.)
8. Toss everything with the dressing and add in some feta or crumbled goat cheese to personal preference. Increase the amounts of cranberries or almonds if desired.
9. Once dressed enjoy the salad the same day. .