Your shopping cart is empty!
These patties are a great option for a meatless lunch or dinner. Serve them in bread buns, pita pockets or simply wrap them up in crunchy lettuce cups topped with a dollop of flavoursome tzatzki. Absolutely scrumptious!
Recipe Source: www.mommyshomecooking.com
Ingredients Lentil Patties:
1 cup brown lentils (or 2 x 400g cans brown lentils)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kelp salt
1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
3 slices wholegrain bread
large handful parsley, mint and/or coriander
1 heaped teaspoon of mustard
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 cups of plain greek yogurt
1 cucumber, grated and excess liquid removed
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dill. dry or fresh
1 tablespoon mint, dry or fresh
1 teaspoon salt
1. If using dried lentils - rinse lentils in cold water, place in a saucepan and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and stir through the salt. Set aside to cool a little. If using canned lentils, simply drain lentils and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes.
3. Roughly tear the bread slices and place in a food processor along with the fresh herbs. Blend into breadcrumbs.
4. Add the eggs, mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, tumeric, cumin, drained lentils, onion and garlic mixture. Pulse half a dozen times to bind the mixture. Squeeze a small amount in your hand to check it holds together, puslin a few more times to combine if requied.
5. Using wet hands shape the mix into round patties. Heat a frying pan over moderate heat and add a splash of oil. Fry the burger in batches until golden brown on both sides.
6. For the Tzatziki, place the grated cucumber in a clean tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid. Combine the strained cucumber with the yogurt, garlic, olive oil, dill, mint and salt in a bowl and mix well to combine.